The name sounds weird isn't it.This is yet another easy recipe of saaru which can be prepared with just a few ingredients and a quick fix kind.This recipe is from my Husband's Aunt who cooks extremely good food.I have named it Tamicon saaru as the tamarind extract available in the Indian grocery stores of US is called Tamicon."Saaru" is nothing but rasam- a south indian soup which is prepared with tamarind pulp as base.
Thick tamarind extract 2 tsp
Garlic cloves(peeled,crushed) 5-6
Sambhar powder 2-3 tsp
Jaggery 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Tomato 1 small(optional)
Salt to taste
Asafoetida(hing) a pinch(optional)
Fresh chopped coriander leaves(cilantro) 1 tbsp
Water 500-600 ml
Ghee(clarified butter) 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves 4-5
Red chilli 1
- In a soup pot add the tamarind pulp,crushed garlic,sambhar powder,jaggery,salt,turmeric,tomato(if using)asafoetida and water and bring to boil and let it boil on a sim flame for 8-10 minutes.Also add fresh chopped cilantro.switch off the flame
- In a small seasoning pan heat ghee add red chilli (broken) mustard seeds and let it sizzle.tear curry leaves and add into the seasoning.
- Pour this over the saru.
- Serve with hot rice or just enjoy in a bowl as a soup.
- Asafoetida may or may not be added,if skipped then garlic flavour will dominate.If not adding garlic then asafoetida enhances the flavour
- If u don't have sambhar/rasam powder there is no need to worry at all-just add 1 tsp dhania powder,1/2 tsp jeera powder and 1-1.5tsp red chilli powder.It tastes good in this way too!!