Rava is nothing but semolina or cream of wheat.Rava idli is an authentic south indian breakfast dish,but may be served for lunch /dinner as well.This is easy to prepare as no soaking ,grinding and fermenting process being involved.It is a weight-watcher friendly recipe as it has no rice and good for those who fast on festivities.It is a beautiful dish prepared with combination of daals and healthy as it is steamed.It can be served with chutney/sambhar or kurma.The ready to eat mixes are easily available in the grocery stores but if time permits and if one wants to have a preservative free then here is a easy recipe which hardly takes much time.
This recipe belongs to my dear friend Ms.Jaysree Venkat who cooks yummiest food.
Rava/semolina(medium variety)1.5 cups
Mustard seeds 1tsp
Chana daal(split yellow peas) 3/4 tsp
Urad daal(split black gram) 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves 4-5 leaves
Fresh curds 1.5 cups
Fresh green peas 1/2 cup
Chopped fresh coriander 1/4 cup
Baking soda 1/2 tsp
Oil 2-3 tsp
Rava idli mix-
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan.
- Add mustard seeds and let it sizzle.
- Add chana daal,after few seconds add urad daal,cashew nuts and raost till golden.
- Add curry leaves(torn into pieces)followed by rava.
- Switching the flame to low saute till it turns light golden(takes around 8-10 minutes).
- Finally add salt and mix well.
- The rava mix is ready and may be stored for few days too.
Preparing idlis/Steamed cakes:
- Heat the idli steam pot adding required water
- Take the roasted idli mix in a bowl
- Add curds,fresh peas(if frozen keep in water for 5-10 mts,drain),fresh coriander leaves and mix well.if the mixture becomes too dry then add extra curds or water,do not add too much.the batter should be semi solid but of pouring consistency.
- Add soda ,give a quick stir,let stand only for a minute,u'll see small bubbles in the batter,which means it has begun its reaction.
- Pour a laddle of batter each in the idli mould.
- Steam on high heat for 10-15 mts.
- Remove the cooked idlis from the steam pot and let it cool.
- Unmould the idlis with the help of a spoon
- Serve hot with chutney/sambhar etc.,
Add curds to the rava mixture when it is still warm.In case u prepare the mixture ahead of time,slighlty warm up the mixture before mixing curds
- This can be made adding onions into the seasoning,in that case dry roast rava to golden and keep in a bowl and do the rest of seasoning as mentioned then add 1 small onion chopped fine,saute to translucent,add green peas,chopped coriander,pour into the bowl containing roasted rava,mix well and proceed with the same method mentioned above.
- While pouring into the moulds it can be granished and given a nice look.in this case don't add the cashews while roasting instead roast it with little ghee to golden and set aside.Place each cashew in the idli mould with 1tsp each of fresh grated coconut and grated carrots,then pour the batter.steam as usual.when unmoulded looks colourful and appetizing.