This is a dry dish made with tender green beans.This is similar to sukke(a dry konkani style subzi) with a little more extra spices.A great dish to go with rice and daal.The beans may be substituted with boiled potatoes,raw banana etc.,I learnt this from my cousin Pallavi.
Green beans chopped 2cups
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder 1/4tsp
Water 1/2 cup
For the masala:
Fresh grated coconut 1/4cup
Red chillies 2(increase according to spice level)
Coriander seeds 1/2tsp
Urad daal 1/2tsp
Methi seeds 4-5
Tamarind size of a peanut(soaked in little water and softned)
Oil 1tbsp+a little more to roast the spices
Mustard seeds 1tsp
Urad daal 1/2tsp
Curry leaves 5-6
- Wash the chopped beans and add into a pressure cooker along with salt(1tsp) turmeric ,jaggery(if using) and cook for just one whistle.
- Once done drain the beans and save water for cooking purpose.
- In a pan heat 1/2tsp oil and on a medium flame roast urad daal to golden,set aside
- Add methi when colour changes add jeera roast a few seconds and add dhania seeds.switch off the flame.tranfer along with roasted urad daal that has been set aside.
- In a small blending jar take the chillies(break into pieces),coconut,tamarind and just pulse it.Add the roasted spices and again blend to form a coarse paste adding very little water(use the pressure cooked one)only if needed.
- Heat a pan with oil and toss in the mustard seeds,let it crackle and add urad daal and curry leaves,and when daal turns golden add the prepared masala,very little salt(as it is already added while pressure cooking)and saute for 3-4 minutes,
- Add the drained beans,mix well till it coats with the masala.Add very little water if it sticks to the pan.
- Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes on a medium flame.
- Serve as a side dish with rice accompanied with daal.