Happy New Year 2016 to all my readers.
This is a wonderful chutney recipe of gongura leaves which I learnt from my dear friend Jaysree.She had prepared this using swiss chard instead and told me it is actually prepared using gongura which is naturally sour.Till then I had only tasted store bought 'Priya' pickle.I prepare this whenever I get a big bunch of leaves and this can also be stored in refrigerator for few days.
Gongura leaves 2cups
Small onions 10-15
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds 1/2tsp
Red chillies 6-7
Jeera/Cumin seeds 1/4tsp
Urad daal 1.5tsp
coriander seeds 1tbsp
Hing/asafoetida a pinch
- Pluck only the leaves discarding the petioles from the bunch.
- Rinse the leaves well and towel dry and roughly chop.
- Peel and chop the onions.
- Heat a tava and dry roast every single ingredient mentioned under the masala powder carefully one by one without over roasting on a low flame.
- Cool and blend to make a coarse powder.
- Heat a skillet with 1tbsp oil and sauté onions till pale.
- Add the gongura leaves,salt and sauté.The leaves wilt and also the colour changes
- Add little water and cook covering for 3-4 minutes.
- When the leaves cool down a bit pulse in a blending jar just for few seconds.
- Add the prepared masala powder and pulse some more and see that it incorporates well with the leaves,use spatula in between to mix and pulse.The texture should be coarse.
- This is ready to serve .
- Else heat another Tbsp of oil and sauté the prepared paste for 3-5 minutes.
- Tastes best when served with steamed rice mixed with ghee and this chutney
I have used regular onions that come in smaller size.Any variety can be used.
This is how the leaves look like-
The making of chutney-