"Kichidi" is generally a one pot dish involving combination of rice and lentils.This is a typical Manglorean Konkani dessert prepared with cracked wheat and chana daal. In fact a healthy dish as involves minimal useage of ghee with a tempting taste.This is more or less like the sweet pongal .Usually serves as a dessert at the end of a meal and even served as an accompaniment with thick soft dosas.
Chana daal 1/3 cup
Cracked wheat 2/3cup
Sugar 1 cup
Fresh grated coconut1/3 cup
Cashews 2 tsp
Elaichi(cardamom) 4-5,deseeded and powdered
Nutmeg a pinch(optional)
- In a wok heat 1/2 tsp ghee and roast chana daal/cashews on low flame till the aroma is felt.add this into a pressure cooker.
- In the same pan add the remaining ghee and raost the cracked wheat,fry it for couple of minutes on low flame
- To the pressure cooker having chana daal in it add about 1-1.25 cups of water.keep the base plate.
- Add the roasted cracked wheat in a container with 4 parts of water and cover it with a plate.
- Pressure cook for a whistle and switch the flame to low and cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Let the pressure come down.
- Make sure chana daal is cooked so also the wheat.
- Drain chana daal and reserve water.
- In a deep wok take the sugar add little water from the cooked chana daal and boil for a couple of minutes.add fresh grated coconut cook for couple of minutes.add the cooked chana daal,cracked wheat ,if it is too dry add some water and cook for 8-10 minutes giving stirs in between.
- Finally add elaichi,nutmeg powder and cover ,cook for 2-3 minutes
- Serve hot topped with ghee and thinly sliced banana circles.
Substitute with jaggery instead of sugar.
Fry cashew/raisins in ghee and pour into the kichidi