This is a North Indian daal served either with rice or roti(flatbread) or can be had in a bowl as a soup on a cold wintery day sprinkling with some fresh chopped onion with a dash of chat masala.An exceptionally tasty one as it is a combination of pulses and vegetables.Here is a simple and tasty recipe and the credit goes to my friend Ms.Richa Goyal.
Green gram(Moong) 1/2cup
and only tender stems) 2.5cups(1 bunch normally available in markets)
Salt to taste
Oil+Ghee(clarified butter) 1tsp each
Red chilli powder 1tsp
Asafoetida(hing) 2pinches(the one i use is strong)
- Wash the green gram and put in a pressure cooker along with chopped onion,chopped spinach and tomatoes with 2 cups of water.
- Cook for 1 whistle then simmer the flame and cook for for 5minutes.
- Switch off.Let the pressure completely come down.
- Transfer the contents into a soup pot and add salt to taste,bring to boil.
- Whisk well with a wire whisk or a buttermilk churner.
- In a small seasoning pan heat oil+ghee.
- Add jeera ,when crackles add red chilli powder,switch off.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix with a spoon.
- Pour over the cooking daal and boil some more.
- Serve hot with rice or chapathis.