Dates(khajoor) are a good source of dietary potassium,fiber and protein.It is generally eaten as a snack food.These days we come across products like dates jam,dates stuffed with amonds and coated with chocolate and so on.There are a variety of dates available like kimia,tunisian ,etc.,here in Indian supermarkets.I have used the desert crown dates which are normally available.
I have followed the method from aayis recipes .
All purpose flour(maida) 1cup
Powdered Sugar 3/4 cup(i have decreased a bit due to presence of dates)
Olive Oil 1/2cup
Seedless dates 18-20nos
Baking soda 1tsp
Vanilla essence 1/4tsp
Chopped cashew nuts(for garnish) 1tbsp
- Boil the milk along with dates(roughly chopped)for a one rolling boil.
- Switch off the flame.Cover it with a lid and rest for 2-3 hours.
- Blend dates using the soaked milk to form a smooth paste and set aside.
- Grease a cake tin with oil and dust with some flour.
- Pre-heat the oven @180 Degrees C.
- Sieve the flour with baking soda for 2-3 times,set aside.
- In a mixing bowl either using electric blender or a wire whisk cream together oil,sugar first.
- Then add the prepared paste,vanilla and beat until creamy.
- Add the sifted flour in batches and mix it using cut and fold method.
- If the batter is too tight add 1-2tbsp of water and mix gently.
- Pour into the prepared tin,sprinkle the chopped nuts and set the oven temperature to 170 Degrees and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
|Just out of oven|
Have used powdered sugar to get a checkerboard formation :)