Here is an interesting recipe made with a combination of vegetables cooked with a masala prepared with coconut and other spices.This is a common and versatile dish among the Kannadigas.There are umpteen number of recipes for this particular dish.Ihave followed my own method which was a nice one.This sagu tastes so good that it serves as a perfect accompaniment with dosa,rava idli,poori,rotis,etc.and even good with plain white rice.
Cauliflower florets 1.5cups
Boiled/cubed potatoes 1/2cup
Fresh/frozen peas 1/4cup
Fresh/frozen coconut 1/2cup
Green chillies 2-3
Oni opped) 2tbsp
Black pe orns 1/2tsp
Cinnamon a small piece
Poppy seeds 1/2tsp
Roasted gram 1tbsp
Coriander leaves 4-5sprigs
Tamarind size of a peanut
Mustard seeds 1/2tsp
Curry leaves 4-6
Chopped onion 1/2cup
Chopped tomato(M) 1 nos
Salt to taste
- Boil carrots and peas first in a pot adding water,once tender add the cauliflower florets and cook for 5 more minutes sprinkling salt.Cover a nd set
- it aside.
- Heat 1tsp oil in a wok/kadai and add cinnamon,cloves,poppy seeds,cashewnuts and roasted gram and saute for few seconds till colour changes slightly.
- Add slit green chillies,chopped ginger,garlic and onion and saute for another 1 minute.
- Add grated coconut,coriader leaves(chop roughly),saute for 30 more seconds,add tamarind and switch off the flame.
- When the roasted ingredients are completely cooled take this in a blending jar and pulse it dry first,then blend to smooth chutney consistency adding
- required amount of water.
- In the same wok/kadai heat 1 tbsp oil and add mustard,once crackling stops add curry leaves and onion and saute till becomes translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes ,sprinkle little salt,aslo add turmeric powder(haldi)and saute till tomatoes are mushy.
- Now add the boiled vegetables(reserve water/stock,use for texture adjustments later),additional salt to taste,little water from the reserved stock
- and bring to a nice boil.
- Add the prepared masala and cook for another 5-7minutes.Do the adjustments with the consistency(should be like kurma or any othet coconut based curry
Serve with poori,chapathi,rava idli,etc., garnished with fresh chopped coriander/cilantro.
Any combination of vegetables may be used(2-3 varieties also make a good combo)