This is one of my favourite South Indian rice variety.It is easy to prepare and can be packed into lunch boxes.Accompanied with pickle and some chips would make a tasty meal as well.Such dishes can be prepared when no vegetables are in stock at home.
Rice 1pav(1.25 cups)(sona masoori)
Salt to taste
Green chilli 1
Chopped Ginger 1tsp
Fresh coconut 3tbsp
Curry leaves 2-3
Mustard seeds 1tsp
Split yellow lentil 1tsp
Split black lentil 1tsp
Curry leaves 8-10
Lemon juice 1tbsp
(finely chopped) 1tbsp
- Wash rice and pressure cook adding double the amount of water(1part rice:2 parts Water)and salt to taste to one whistle,then cook on low flame for 5-7 minutes,switch off the flame.Let it cool completely.
- In a small blending jar take all the ingredients mentioned under masala and pulse to form a coarse paste(need not add water)
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add the mustard seeds,once crackles add jeera followed by peanuts,roast till colour changes.
- Add chana daal,urad daal and roast for few seconds.
- Add curry leaves,coarse paste and roast on low flame for a couple of minutes.
- Add lemon juice,corainder leaves,additional salt to taste(check the taste of rice as salt is added there) and switch off the flame.
- Add the cooked,cooled rice and mix gently with a fork or a slotted spatula till everything gets well incorporated.
- If you feel it is too dry can add 1-2tsp of additional oil(generous amount of oil makes it taste better,like the ones served in temple)
- Switch the flame on,cover and re-heat for nother 5 minutes on low flame.
- Switch off.