This is an authentic North Indian dish popular all over India and even across the globe.The combination of spices and the rich gravy make it more flavoursome.It tastes great when served with Indian flatbread..i.e., roti,naan,etc or even with pooris(Indian deep fried pufffed bread).Original recipe credit goes to my aunt Ms.Geetha Bhat..with me making few additions over the years.This has been a favourite accompaniment with chapathi/poori in my home since years.
Paneer (cottage cheese) 100 gms
Fresh/frozen peas 1.5 cups
Tomatoes(M) 2 nos,finely chopped
Onions(m) 2 nos,finely chopped
Garam masala powder 1/4 tsp
kitchen King Masala 1/2 tsp
kasoori Methi(dried Fenugreek leaves) 1.5 tsp
Chopped green bell pepper(capsicum) 2 tbsp
Amchur(dry mango powder) 1/4 tsp
Oil 2 tbsp
Oil 1 tsp
Onions(M) 2 nos,chopped
Cinnamon 1 inch piece
Cardamom 1(only seeds)
Cashew nuts 2tbsp
Poppy seeds 1tsp
Ginger 1.5inch piece,chopped
Garlic flakes 5,peeled and chopped
Red chilli powder 1.5tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4tsp
Chopped fresh corianderleaves 2tsp
- Keep 2 skillets/kadai ready(atleast one of them non-stick for sauteeing the masala)
- If using frozen peas then soak in water for 10-15 minutes,later drain out the water.
- Cut he paneer into cubes.
- In a skillet heat a tsp of oil and setting the flame to mediumadd cloves,cardamom seeds,cinnamon,poppy seeds,peppercorns and saute lightly
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic and saute lightly followed by onions,also saute for couple of minutes.
- Add the cashewnuts,chilli powder,coriander leaves and turmeric and stir once.Switch off the flame.
- Transfer the contents to a mixie jar and when cooled prepare a paste adding required amount of water.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in the skillet used for sauteeing the masala and add the chopped onions and saute until it turns golden
- meanwhile heat another pan(preferably non-stick)with a tbsp of oil and add the blended masala and saute for 5-10 minutes stirring in between till the
- raw flavour fades away and also some oil gets shown.
- Once the onions are golden add the chopped bell pepper and saute for few seconds.
- Add the peas and give a nice stir.cover and cook adding little water till they are soft.
- Add the tomatoes and saute till they become soft and mushy.
- Add salt,kitchen king masala,little kasoori methi and stir.
- Add the sauteed masala from the other pan,water to get a curry consistency and bring to boil.
- Add the cubed paneer and let cook for 3-4 minutes covered.
- Finally add kasoori methi(rubbing on your palms a little) and garam masala powder and switch off the flame.
- Cover the lid to retain the flavour