Kurma as we call is also spelled Kormaa/Qorma which has its roots in Central Asian/Mughlai Cusine that is usually yogurt/cream or nut based and prepared with meat.Iam presenting a South Indian version prepared with coconut as a base flavoured with different spices using fresh vegetables resulting in a lip smacking kurma that goes good with puri,roti,dosa or even with pulao.
Mixed cut vegetables (cauliflower,potato,peas,carrot,beans,bottlegourd)about 2 cups
For the masala:
Freshgrated coconut 1/2 cup
Green chilli 1
Byadagi chillies(roasted) 2
Sprigs of coriander leaves 2-3
Garlic cloves(peeled) 2
Turmeric powder 1/3tsp
Coriander seeds 1/2tsp
(only seeds) of 1pod
Cinnamon/dalchini a small piece
Poppy seeds(khus khus) 1/2tsp
Tamarind/Imli size of a chickpea
Mustard seeds 1/2tsp
Curry leaves 3-4
Onion(chopped) 1 small
sour variety 2 nos
- Pressure cook the vegetables with required water and a dash of salt to just 1 whistle.
- In a kadai add 1tsp oil and add the cinnamon,cloves,peppercorns,cardamom,corainder seeds,saunf,poppy seeds and lighlty roast.
- Add the cashewnuts,ginger,garlic,onions,green chilli and saute for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder,corainder leaves,fresh coconut,stir once add tamarind and switch off.let it cool
- Take the roasted ingredients for masala in a blending jar,dry blend first till it becomes coarse then adding little water blend to form a smooth thick paste.
- In the same kadai add 3tsp oil and heat it up.Throw in the mustard seeds followed by curry leaves then the onions,saute till translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and saute till it becomes pulpy.
- Add the prepared masala and saute for the next 5 minutes on a low flame
- Add the cooked veggies,required amount of water and boil for 5-7 minutes.
- Switch off the flame.
I have used only one green chilli as the one iam using is terrible spicy.
The vegetable combination may be altered depending upon the availability,only Potato,Peas and Carrot would also be a great combo.
Serving Idea:Here I have served it with fried rice of which I will post the recipe soon...