Daals are a staple in Indian maincourse.It is prepared all over the country using different lentils and sometimes even mixing a couple of them.The method of preparing differs from region to region.This is a one prepared from brown lentil which is called sabut masoor in Hindi,(sabut means whole) and masoori in Konkani.An easy to prepare one which can be served with rice or rotis or can have it in a bowl like soup,choice is yours!!
Masoor daal(brown lentil) 1/2cup
Green chilli 1
Ginger chopped 1tsp
Garlic chopped 1tsp
salt to taste
Red chilli powder 3/4tsp
Asafoetida(hing) a pinch
- Wash masoor and soak in pressure cooker for 1hour.
- Make a coarse paste of ginger garlic and green chilli using a mortar and pestle.
- Add chopped onion,toamto,coarse paste and pressure cook adding about 1.5 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle ,then lower the flame and cook for 10 more minutes.
- When cooked, whisk the pressure cooked contents well and transfer into a soup pot.
- Add salt and bring to boil.
- In a small seasoning pan heat oil and toss in jeera ,when sizzles add the remaining ingredients and pour over the boiling daal.
- Add fine chopped coriander leaves and boil for 1 more minute.
- Serve hot with rice,rotis.
Serving Idea-(Masoor daal served with ajwain(carom seeds/bishops weed)paratha & Soya chunk aloo aur palak ki subzi)