Bhakri is a the name for flatbread in Konkani/Marathi.This is an easy and tasty recipe that can be made with leftover rice.I just make this for breakfast whenever I have a small batch of cooked rice,just adding soaked yellow lentil(chana daal) little grated beetroot which makes the bhakri look colourful.I had heard about this bhakri from my mother- in- law but never got a chance to taste,and honestly I was wondering how it might taste as use of soaked chana daal and beets were new to me.I gave a try on my own and to my surprise I love it having for weekend breakfast when I have no plans as to what to prepare and have a little rice in the refrigerator.Bhakri has to be served topped with butter and anything like pickle or chutney powder.
Cooked rice 1.5cups
Green chillies 2
Fresh coconut 1/2cup
Finely chopped onions 1cup
Grated beetroot 2tbsp
Fresh chopped coriander 2tbsp
(split yellow lentil) 2tbsp(to be soaked overnight)
Rice flour 1 1/3 cup
Oil to roast bhakris
- In a blending jar add the rice,coconut,salt and green chillies(cut into pieces) and blend lightly adding little water,becomes like a paste.
- Transfer the prepared paste into a bowl
- Into the bowl add chopped onions,coriander leave,drained daal,grated beetroot and give a mix (using hands are preferred.
- Add the rice flour and mix till everything gets well incorporated adding little water if needed.
- This should be a wet dough.
- Heat a griddle,and smear with oil.
- Take a handful of dough and press gently pat with your palms to get a circular shape as thin as possible,requires a little practice (keep a bowl of water for dipping hands in between).
- Add little oil on sides,cover with a lid and cook on medium flame for a minute or two,(there should not be any spots of rawness
- With the help of a spaltula flip on the other side and cook for another couple of minutes(Ikeep two griddles simultaneously which makes the process faster).
- Serve topped with butter and pickle.
- Repeat the procedure to make remaining bhakris,makes 4-5 bhakris and this is quite filling.
Those who do not like beets may either substitute it with grated carrots or just skip it.
Coconut may be skipped as well.