This is another variety of stuffed brinjals which is prepared in Maharashtrian way.The spice mix and the coconut give a nice flavour to the dish.This can be served along with rice and Dali thoy.I came across this recipe from a food group and the credit goes to Ms.Leena Gulwadi.
Small Brinjals 10
Salt to taste
Oil (for sauteeing brinjals) 2tsp
Fresh coconut 3-4tbsp
Cinnamon (dalchini) 1 inch piece
Dhania/Coriander seeds 2tbsp
Cloves (lavang) 4-5
Garlic flakes,peeled 1-2
Turmeric powder 1/4tsp
Red chillies (byadagi) 4
Red chillies (guntur) 2
Tamarind size of a peanut
Mustard seeds 1tsp
Asafoetida/Hing a pinch
Curry leaves a few
Onion,chopped 1 large(1 cup apprx)
Fresh chopped corainder
/cilantro (for garnish 1/2tbsp
- Make vertical cross slits only till 3/4th on brinjals and soak them in water for 30 minutes to get rid of the bitterness.
- Drain the brinjals,(water would be brownish),pat dry on a towel to get rid of extra moisture.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a pan(preferably non-stick) and saute the brinjals till a few brown spot appearing turning them in between.
- Set aside on a plate.
- Make a masala of the said ingredients to smooth thick paste adding required water.
- Heat the same pan used to saute brinjals and add a tbsp oil.
- Toss in the mustard seeds,let it crackle then add asafoetida(hing),curry leaves and then chopped onions.
- Saute till onions are translucent,now add the prepared masala and fry for about 5 minutes on a medium flame sauteeing in between.
- Add the brinjals ,salt to taste,stir gently.
- Add water if it is too thick,bring to a nice rolling boil.
- Simmer the flame and cook covering till brinjals are perfectly done(when you prick with a knife on brinjals it gets through easily)
- Serve garnished with fresh chopped cilantro/coriander leaves.
- Perfect to go with rotis and even with rice and daal.
- Any other variety of small brinjals may be used.
- In this particular dish I have used baby matti gulla(a variety native to Udupi region of Karnataka available only for few months in a year)for more info on this brinjal please visit Here.