This dish is typical with GSB's of South kanara.It is less spicy than Khoddel which is seasoned with garlic.Here again a combination of a pulse and a vegetable is made.Even sambhar cucumber,chayote squash can be used instead of potato.I have used frozen peas instead of fresh,the fresh ones tastes awesome due to the delicate natural sweet taste.During festive occasion onions may be skipped and replaced with asafoetida as flavouring agent and seasoned with mustard seeds and curry leaves.This is one of my favourite dishes.
Fresh/frozen Peas 1.5cups
Potato cubes(boiled) 1/2cup
Salt to taste
Onion(fine chopped) 1/2cup
Fresh/frozen coconut 3/4cup
Red chillies(roasted) 3 byadagi,1guntur
Tamarind size of a peanut.
(from above) 2tbsp
- If using frozen peas then soak in water for 10-15 minutes,drain and then pour in a soup pot and bring to boil adding water(abt 1cup) along with chopped onion.
- Meanwhile prepare the masala with the ingredients mentioned,blend everything to to form a smooth thick paste adding required water.
- Once the peas are tender add the cubed potatoes and salt to taste,boil for 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared masala and water to get the curry consistency and bring to a rolling boil,cook on low flame for 5-10 minutes.
- In a small seasoning pan saute the onions to a nice golden colour and pour this over the (ambat) curry and boil for 30 more seconds.
- Since onions are used in this dish it becomes thick as time passes by.(before serving heat the gravy adding required water)