This is yet another authentic version of ambat,a combination of greens with a vegetable unlike in my past previous post,jeev batane ambat with a combination of vegetable and a pulse/legume.The taste is unique but the flavour of fenugreek makes it more healthy and tasty.Similarly any other leafy greens may be combined with a vegetable(sambhar cucumber,chayote etc).Tastes best when served with white/boiled red rice and a stir fried vegetable(upkari).
Methi leaves(cleaned,washed) 1cup
Onion,chopped(M) 1 nos
Chayote(S)peeled,cubed 1 nos
Tuvar daal (split pigeon peas) 1tbsp
(soak for 20 minutes)
Fresh grated coconut 1/2cup
Tamarind size of a peanut
Roasted red chillies 3-4
Salt to taste
finely chopped 1nos
- In a pressure cooker take the tuvar daal,chayote chunks,onion,and methi leaves(only leaves),add a cup of water and cook for 1 whistle then lower the flame for 2 minutes.switch off
- Prepare a smooth masala with contents mentioned in the masala using required quantity of water.
- Transfer the pressure cooked contents into a soup pot,add salt,jaggery and bring to boil(if water is too much set it aside in a bowl for consistency adjustments later)
- Add the prepared masala and water(used reserved water if any)to get curry consistency and bring to a good rolling boil and lowering the flame cook for further 5-7 minutes for the rawness of masala to fade off.
- In a small seasoning pan heat oil and saute onions to golden brown and pour over the cooked curry.
- Switch off the flame.
- Serve with white/red rice.