Dates are a good source of dietary fiber.I had posted earlier an eggless cake made with dates.Iam presenting here the same with a slight twist in the recipe with just adding little instant coffee into the cake batter and made flower cup cakes using silicon flower cupcake moulds which I had picked up in my recent shopping.Since I had lined the muffin moulds with almond shavings and the dual look,floral on one side and regular cupcake on the other made me to repost as the appearance too strikes an appeal.The taste was better and I don't know if the appearance has something to do with this as adding instant coffee did not make any noticeable change in flavour.
I have followed the method from aayis recipes .
All purpose flour(maida) 1cup
Powdered Sugar 3/4 cup
(i have decreased a bit
due to presence of dates)
Olive Oil 1/2cup
Seedless dates 18-20nos
Baking soda 1tsp
Vanilla essence 1/4tspAlmond shavings 2-3tbsp(to line in the muffin cups)
Instant Coffee powder 1 sachet(1 tsp apprx)
- Boil the milk along with dates(roughly chopped)for a one rolling boil.
- Switch off the flame.Cover it with a lid and rest for 2-3 hours.
- Blend dates using the soaked milk to form a smooth paste and set aside.
- Grease the muffin moulds with oil and sprinkle with almond shavings.
- Pre-heat the oven @180 Degrees C.
- Sieve the flour with baking soda for 2-3 times,set aside.
- In a mixing bowl either using electric blender or a wire whisk cream together oil and sugar.
- Then add the prepared paste,vanilla,instant coffee and beat until creamy.
- Add the sifted flour in batches and mix it using cut and fold method.
- If the batter is too tight add 1-2tbsp of water and mix gently.(I have not added)
- Pour into the prepared moulds,and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the toothpick test comes out clean.