This is a rice based dish from the State of Karnataka,India.The name Bisi Bele Bath may be translated as hot lentil rice.It involves a process where cooked rice is again cooked with tuvar daal(split pigeon peas),vegetables and a special prepared masala with tanginess of tamarind and with a hint of jaggery Though it is a long process but worth the effort as the result is a filling and mouth watering one pot dish which makes a meal special.I learnt to make this from my dear sister Anu Pai with slight changes in the masala.
Tuvar daal 3/4 cup
Chayote squash 1
French beans 5-6
Green peas 1/4cup
Fresh/dry coconut 1tbsp
Red chillies 4byadagi,3guntur(roasted)
Chana daal 2tsp
Urad daal 1tsp
Coriander seeds 4tsp
Cumin seeds 1/4tsp
Cinnamon 1 inch piece
Poppy seeds 1/2tsp
Garlic 1 flake(optional)
Black peppercorns 4-5
Oil 2-3tbsp+1tsp apprx for roasting
Mustard seeds 1tsp
Curry leaves 5-6
Turmeric powder 1/4tsp
Salt to taste
(thick) prepared from a cherry sized ball
- Prepare rice directly in a vessel or a cooker and set aside(should be soft,like the one we use for regular meals).
- Peel carrot and chayote,remove the fibre from beans,wash and cut the veggies into 1 inch long pieces.
- Wash daal and put in a pressure cooker and in another vessel add the veggies and cook for 3whistles.
- Heat a shallow pan with little oil and roast dhania lightly,set on a plate add chana daal,roast till colour changes and aroma is felt.
- Similarly roast the urad daal too.Also roast the jeera,black pepper and poppy seeds,set on the plate.
- Add little oil and roast the cloves and cinnamon,if roasted chillies are not available in your pantry then roast it till crisp.
- Roast coconut and crushed garlic flake to light golden.
- Let everything cool,transfer the roasted ingredients into a blending jar and blend to form a nice powder.
- Take the powder in a bowl and mix adding little water to form a paste and set aside.
- Heat a heavy bottomed deep pan/Kadai and heat oil.
- Once heated toss in the mustard seeds,followed by curry leaves and then the peanuts,let the nuts get roasted.
- Add the chopped onions,saute to translucent,add turmeric powder,stir and add tomatoes and saute for few minutes.
- Add the pressure cooked veggies(reserve water separately),salt and jaggery to taste,and assafoetida/hing for flavour.
- Add the tamarind extract and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the masala paste and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the cooked daal(mash it,if there is water,reserve it for later adjustments),rice and mix till combines well.
- Pour required reserved water(stock) and let it be of pouring consistency as it gians thickness with time.
- Meanwhile have a taste of it and make necessary adjsutments(should taste taste like rice mixed with sambhar)
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes covered on a low flame.
- I have cooked rice directly in a pot on stove top by discarding the starch method as it is my usual process,but you may even pressure cook it.
- The vegetables can be of your choice.Veggies like knol khol(kohlrabi),and avare kaalu(field beans) are typically used by the natives.