This is a simple yet tasty way of preparing mashed brinjals .Here brinjals and other vegetables are directly roasted on fire which gives a smoky flavour to the dish. "Choka "belongs to the Indian State of Bihar. There,it is served with Litti , a snack food made with wheat and lentil made into balls.It can also be made with potatoes and the oil which is used traditionally is mustard oil.I have used olive oil here.It was worth trying as it tastes wonderful!!! more or less like Amchi Gulla Bajji(mashed brinjal in Konkani style)ranni ghallel (roasted in fire) with a different flavour.Please go ahead with the recipe and try out ASAP.
Brinjals(med) 2 nos
Garlic cloves 3-4
Green chilli 1
Olive oil 1tbsp
Asafoetida(hing) a pinch
- Roast brinjal,green chilli,garlic onion and tomato directly over flame(over gas burner) till charred turning at intervals.
- With the help of cold water peel the charred skins and chop each one of them to pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and add asafoetida followed by chopped onions,saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped garlic and green chilli and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped brinjal,salt to taste and saute for another minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and combine well,with the back of a spoon mash nicely.
- Add fresh chopped coriander,sprinkle little water and cook covering for 2-3 minutes on a low flame.
- Good as an accompaniment with rice,kichidi or roti.