The name tag of this dish may sound weird as it is made with peels of ashgourd which otherwise would have gone into trash.The only care to be taken here while using it is to scrape the white ash like substance present on the peel as it has a pungent flavour and a shell like texture.If ashgourd chunks are used to prepare sasam(refer this blog for kuvale Sasam)then this subzi can be paired to form a complete meal!!!
To be pressure cooked:
Ashgourd peels Chopped(into tiny pieces) 2 cups
Red chilli powder 1/4 tsp
Salt 3/4 tsp
Jaggery 1/2 tsp(or as per taste)
Turmeric powder 1/4tsp
Tamarind size of a chickpea
Water 3/4 cup
Red chilli(byadagi variety) 1
Fresh grated coconut 2tbsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds 3/4 tsp
Jeera/cumin seeds 1/4tsp
Urad daal 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves 5-6
- While chopping pumpkin for any curry cut the peel part into thicker ones.
- Scrape the peel with rubbing knife on it so that the ash like substance gets off.Try to scrape off as much as possible.
- Then chop them into tiny bits,rinse in water.
- Take a pressure cooker and add all the mentioned ingredients above and cook for 3 whistles.
- Once cooled down drain the cooked contents in a colander and reserve water.
- in a blending jar prepare a coarse masala adding little reserved water if necessary.
- Heat a kadai with oil then add mustard seeds, once the crackling stops add jeera followed by urad daal,roast till golden,toss in the curry leaves.
- Add the prepared masala and saute for 3-4 minutes sauteeing continuously till the raw flavour fades away.
- Add the cooked peels and mix till it incorporates with the masala.
- Check the taste and add salt,jaggery if needed .
- Add very little water(reserved) and cook covering with a lid for about 5-7 minutes.
- The texture should be absolutely dry.