This is a very simple yet very healthy and tasty accompaniment to go with rice,and i bet you will have to cook a little extra rice than usual as it is quite appetizing and delicious.Thambli or thambali/thambuli is a cold dish prepared by roasting spices,herb(in this case) and coconut and blending like a chutney then mixing up with buttermilk/curd tempered with oil or few varieties where nothing is roasted except red chillies and then drizzling with coconut oil on top.There are umpteen varieties of thamblis available accross coastal karnataka and this is one such kind.I have already posted a kadi recipe using this herb before in this blog.
Sambarpalli leaves 10-12
Green chilli 1
Fresh grated coconut 1/2 cup
Jeera/Cumin seeds 1tsp
Black peppercorns 1/2- 3/4tsp
Oil(for roasting) 1tsp
Salt to taste
Water as required for blending
Curd/Buttermilk 1/2 cup(apprx)or more or as required
Ghee/clarified butter 1tsp
Mustard seeds 1tsp
Curry leaves 8-10
- Wash the leaves and dab it with a washcloth.
- In a small pan heat a tsp of oil and on medium heat roast peppercorns,once they begin popping up add jeera and roast it till a nice aroma is felt.
- Now add the green chilli and saute for 30 seconds followed by the leaves(just tear it into pieces) and roast till it wilts.
- Add the fresh coconut and saute for about a minute,add salt and switch off the heat.
- When it is cool,transfer into a blending jar and grind it to form a smooth paste, adding required amount of water.Thambli is almost ready.
- Transfer into a bowl .
- Prepare the tempering in a small pan and pour it over the thambli.
- Mix well beaten curds or buttermilk whichever is available(say about 1/2 cup) to the thambli to get the desired consistency.
- If you like it sour then use sour curds/buttermilk.I have used moderate one.
Note:Since this dish is not boiled later consume it immediately,and leftover if any may be refrigerated.
If you like it more spicy increase the amount of chilli and peppercorns