Rasam is nothing but a South Indian spicy/tangy soup.It may or may not be prepared using tuvar daal(split pigeon peas).There are countless ways of preparing rasam.Some recipes call of tuvar daal while some don't .It can be slightly thinner than sambhar or runny like water and goes well served with steamed white rice or can be just had like a soup.Here goes a wonderful recipe using freshly prepared masala with spices that has its freshness infused in the rasam.
I came across this beautiful recipe from my friend Sushma Mallya(authenticfooddelights.blogspot.uk) and tried it.We all liked it very much and thank you Sushma for this aromatic rasam.
Tomatoes (large) 2 nos
Toor dal 6 tbspTurmeric(haldi) 1/4 tsp
Water 1 .5 cups plus a little more
Coconut grated 1tbsp
Salt to taste
For Masala:Dhania(coriander seeds) 2 tbsp.
Jeera (Cumin seeds) 1/4 tsp
Methi (fenugreek Seeds) 1 /4 tsp
Black Pepper 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Red chillies ( bydagi) 3
Tamarind Size of a small cherryOil 1tsp(for roasting the masala ingredients)
For Seasoning:Ghee(clarified butter) 1tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2tsp
Curry leaves 7-8
Asafoetida(hing) a generous pinch
A few strands of fresh chopped green coriander for garnish.
- Pressure cook dal with tomato (whole) and haldi for 2 whistles and keep aside. Now mash this well and keep aside.
- Soak tamarind with little water.
- Heat oil in a pan, add coriander seeds, Jeera, Methi, black pepper, mustard seeds, red chilli and fry on low flame till lovely aroma and grind it along with jaggery and tamatind to fine paste.
- Now add this paste to the mashed toordal, add coconut and 2-3curry leaves and bring to a boil. Add salt and required water to get the required consistency.
- For the tempering heat ghee in a small pan , add mustard seeds when crackling is done add curry leaves, hing and then drop it into the rasam.
- Add the fresh chopped green coriander and switch off the flame.
- Serve piping hot with Rice.
I have made slight alterations which may not reflect much with the original taste.
- Have used 1tbsp coconut instead of 3tbsp.
- Used ghee for seasoning.