This is a simplest and easiest of typical Konkani(amchi) side dishes that goes as an accompaniment with rice and daal.Seasoning may be varied including cumin(jeera)and skipping asafoetida(hing).But i have used asafoetida as i love its aroma and flavour.
(yellow pumpkin) 2cups
Fresh grated coconut 2tbsp
Jaggery powder 1-2tsp
Salt to taste.
Turmeric powder a pinch
Asafoetida 2 pinches
For tempering:Oil 2tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2tsp
Split black gram
(urad daal) 1/2tsp
Red chilli or
Green chilli 1
Curry leaves 3-4
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan
- Toss in the mustard seeds followed by urad daal,lightly brown it.
- Add the chilli(slit/broken)curry leaves,then the pumpkin pieces and stir on high heat for a minute.
- Add the turmeric powder,salt,jaggery and asafoetida.
- Add 1/4-1/2 cup of water and bring to boil,then cook covered on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh coconut and some more water only if the chunks are still raw.
- cover and cook till the pumpkin are tender and done.
- Serve along with rice or rotis.