Cakes are something that are loved by one and all.In Bangalore we get very good cakes and there are a number of bakery chains across the city with each one of them having their signature bakes like the black forest cake @sweet chariot,Cheesecakes @ Cakewala,Chocolate truffle cake @ammas pastries and Honey cake especially by the Iyengar bakery @9th block Jayanagar(there are many Iyengar bakeries across the city though)..and many more choices too.I always wanted to bake one by myself and was not getting a foolproof recipe.Few days back i came across this recipe in a food blog and there was no looking back as i trust the person who posted it,none other than Ms. Vidya Nayak Shenoy whose posts are always wonderful and the recipe she had followed from Ms.Jayshri Baleri whose posts and presentation are the ones I love to gaze at.Thanks a ton to Ms.Shenoy for this wonderful cake and motivating me and also thanks to Ms.Baleri.
This cake is dedicated to my adorable niece Anoushka who is turning 5 today.
All purpose flour (maida) 2cups
Baking powder 1tbsp
Butter 1/2cup(@room temperature)
Eggs(large) 3nos(@room temperature)
Vanilla essence 1tsp
For the Syrup-
Rose essence 2-4 drops
Mixed fruit jam 3-4tsp
Dessicated coconut 2tbsp
- Grease a 9" baking tin with butter and also dusting with a little flour and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 Degrees C
- Sieve the flour adding baking powder 2-3 times and set aside.
- Take a mixing bowl and with the help of a wooden spatula mix the butter first lightly .
- Using a electric blender whsik the butter for a minute
- Add the sugar and mix it with a wooden spatula first
- Using electric blender gently start blending then do it for a couple of minutes till it becomes creamy.
- Add eggs one by one and blend again till well combined
- Add sifted flour in batches,also the milk and vanilla essence and mix the batter gently with a wooden spatula using cut and fold method.
- Once done with mixing pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven @180 degress for 35 minutes.
- Check if a knife poked at centre of the cake comes clean,which means it is done.
Preparing the syrup:
while the cake is still baking prepare the syrup
Combine honey water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to boil and simmer the flame for 3-5 minutes.
Switch off and add rose essence(add just only few drops)
For garnishing the cake:
When the cake is still warm prick the whole cake with a toothpick.
Using a spoon pour the mixture evenly over the cake.
Spread the jam on the cake evenly with a back of a spoon.
Sprinkle the dessicated coconut on top.
Slice the cake and serve-
I have made minor changes-
The recipe calls for rose water and I have used essence instead.
The original recipe calls for 1/2tsp chilli powder mixed to the jam before spreading over the cake,whereas I have not used chilli powder..You may give a try and let me know .