Phodis are indeed fries that are made with vegetables like bittergourd,breadfruit,raw banana,sweet potato and the list goes endless.These are made by slicing the vegetable in desired shapes and marinating with little salt,then appling a paste(as made below) or just sprinkling chilli powder and other ingredients by one's choice and then rolling them or rather dusting in rice flour and then frying them up to golden and crisp.There is a difference between phodi and bajo in Konkani.Bajo is something that is dipped in batter made of chickpea flour(besan) and then deep fried.These phodis(fries) go good when served with rice and daal.
Bittergourd/karela 1 nos
salt to sprinkle for marination
Red chilli powder 2tsp
Kashmiri mirch powder 1/2tsp
Salt to taste
Ajwain 2 pinches
Haldi 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida(hing) a pinch
Dhania powder 1/2tsp
Urad daal flour(optional) 2tsp
Warm water 3tbsp
Oil for deep frying
Rice flour 2tbsp(for the second coat)
- Wash and slice bittergourd into thin roundels(discs).
- Take these in a bowl and sprinkle a little salt and give a nice toss.
- Place something heavy on this and set aside for 1 hour(i placed my stone mortar)
- Meawhile in a small bowl make a paste the said ingredients mixing with the help of a spoon and set aside.
- Squeeze gourd pieces(handled carefully without breaking)
- Take the squeezed gourd in a bowl and add the prepared paste and coat using a spoon or by tossing so that the masala gets coated to every single slice.
- Set this aside for 15mts.
- In a plate place the rice flour in one corner and dip each roundel individually on both side and dab both sides of the roundels in a corner of the plate.press well so that riceflour sticks neatly.
- Repeat the procedure for every single slice.
- Heat oil in a frying pan,drop a few carefully,fry on medium heat without disturbing for the first few seconds
- Later with the help of tongs or a slotted spoon gently turn over each and every slice and fry till a nice golden colour.
- Take out in a colander then tranfer to a plate lined with a kitchen paper towel.
- Serve with rice and daal.
Dry roast 1/2 cup urad daal on low heat till a nice aroma
cool and blend into a fine powder consistency(mine was slightly coarse,like maize flour)
Use as required