This rasam is just like any other rasam but has the goodness of fresh drumstick leaves in it with all its nutritious value.Drumstick leaves are a good source of vitamin B,C and K.
This rasam brings back to me my fond memories of childhood and used to call it ooty rasam as we had tasted it for the first time at a restaurant in Ooty.My mom would make this whenever there was a batch of freshly picked drumstick leaves from a tree that we had in our backyard.She would say that she has prepared Ooty rasam/saaru so that me and my sister would eat food with all joy.
Tuvar daal 2 tbspDrumstick leaves(packed),
stems/even petiolesas much possible discarded 1 cup
Tomato(country variety) 1 nos(M)
Green chilli(slit) 1 nos
Turmeric powder 1/4tsp
Rasam Powder 2tsp
Pepper powder a pinch
Tamarind extract 1/2tsp
Asafoetida(hing) a pinchSalt to taste
Ghee(clarified butter) 1tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2tsp
curry leaves 3-4
- Wash and soak tuvar daal for 30 minutes then pressure cook along with drumstick leaves that are rinsed well.
- Take soaked daal,drumstick leaves in a pressure cooker.add 2 cups of water and 1/4 tsp oil
- Cook for 1 whistle,then lowering the flame cook further for 5-7 minutes
- Slice the tomatoes into chunks and add in a soup pot.
- Add slit green chilli,haldi,salt,and jaggery and bring to a boil(use the water/stock from the pressure cooked daal,leaves)
- When tomatoes are halfway cooked add rasam powder,pepper powder,tamarind extract and boil on medium heat for furhter 3-4 minutes
- Add cooked daal,drumstick greens(churn or whisk it well),more water if needed ,asafoetida and boil for another 5 minutes
- Heat a small seasoning pan with ghee and toss in mustard,once sizzling stops add curryleaves(torn into pieces for a nice flavour)
- One thing I noticed while pressure cooking daal along with leaves is that daal wont become mushy and still remains in its shape,so a ladleful of pre-cooked daal(saved while making other daal preparations)would be more helpful for a tasty rasam.
- Leaves may be pressure cooked in a small bowl while cooking any other stuff.
- Any variety of tomato may be used,the country variety is more sour and hence suitable for rasam.