This is a very simple and tasty dessert that can be prepared in minutes.It can be used as offering during festivites.It tastes good if served warm or cold.Here i have not used any food colour.If desired can be added too.I have used basmathi rice here as it is aroamtic by itself.Even jeera rice is a good option and in case of unavailability in pantry any other variety of rice(white) may be used.
Basmati rice 2-3 fistful
Milk 3-4 cups
(cardamom) powder 1/2tsp
Cashew nuts 1tbsp
Saffron strands a few(soaked in warm milk)
- Soak raisins with little water in a bowl.
- In a heavy bottom pan add a cup of milk and bring to boil
- Wash rice and add when the milk begins to boil.
- Cook till soft stirring at intervals adding additional water/milk if it becomes too dry.
- When rice becomes soft add sugar and saffron
- Cook for a further few minutes.
- Add elaichi and give a nice stir.
- In a small seasoning pan heat ghee and roast cashewnuts to golden and add the raisins(drain and dab with a paper towel or a washcloth)saute gently and switch off.
- Add this to the kheer,mix well and switch off.
- The rice can be pressure cooked adding the said quantity of water and 2 cups of milk.
- Once the first whistle is about to start simmer the flame and cook for 5-8minutes and switch off.
- once the pressure releases add the remaining milk then add sugar and continue cooking using above method.
- Add more milk if the texture becomes solid.
A fistful of sago pearls can also be added along with rice.It tastes great.