Mango season is here and i see a wide variety of mangoes in the market.This wonderful fruit can be consumed in various forms.There are innumerable recipes using mangoes. This is a simple yet mouthwatering chutney recipe which was unknown to me.I learnt this one from my mother-in-law.In Konkani it is known as pikkal ambe gojju,meaning ripe mango chutney and known with the name"Andurli" which sounds a little funny :) but tastes heavenly with rice.
Mangoes(ripe) 2 nos
Green chillies 1-2
Garlic flakes 2-3
Salt to taste
Jaggery to taste
(for garnish) 1-2 tsp
- Using a mixie jar or a mortar/pestle blend salt,green chilli and garlic to a paste.
- Add this to a mixing bowl.
- Wash the jar with little water and reserve this to squeeze out pulp from the peels
- Peel mangoes and set the peels aside.
- In a small bowl take the peels, using the reserved water gently squeeze to extract the mango pulp and discard the peels.
- Reserve this for adjusting the texture later.
- Take the mangoes in a bowl containing the chilli garlic paste and gently squeeze the mangoes to extract pulp using hands.(if you like to chew mangoes then do not squeeze out the pulp completely)
- Add jaggery to taste(2tbsp apprx)
- The consistency should be thick ,so, care should be taken while adding water.
- This chutney should have all four tastes,viz.,sweet,sour,salt and spicy.
- Tranfer into a serving bowl and drizzle the coconut oil on top and give a light stir.
- Best served with rice or as a side dish in a meal.
The mangoes that are more sour and less sweet will be a best choice for this recipe.
Use chillies,jaggery as per taste requirements.