This is yet another breakfast staple of the Konkans which is easy to make as idly rava(cream of rice)is easily available in stores.Earlier it was made soaking rice then coarsely blending it which would take time.This is a easy version which I prepare since many years.
Idly rava(rice rava) 1 1/4cup
(grated) 1/2 cup
Salt to taste(1tsp,apprx)
Mustard seeds 1tsp
Urad daal 1tsp
- Wash and discard the water from idly rava.
- Heat oil in a kadai,add mustard seeds and let it crackle
- Add urad daal,when golden add methi and fry a bit.
- Add grated coconut(if having slices then pulse in a blender using little water)and saute for 30 seconds.
- Now add water,salt and bring to a good rolling boil.
- Add the washed rava,and let stand for 30 seconds.
- Now switch the flame to medium and using a spatula keep turning the mixture.
- It has to become like a dough with all moisture evaporated.
- Let it cool down .Now take a small portion and shape to a ball with a little thumb impression in the centre.
- Steam this in a pre-heated idli steamer and steam for 20 minutes on stove top.
- Best served with a drizzle of coconut oil on top with some pickle or any spicy curry.
If coconut milk is available it can be used instead of fresh coconut in which case for the above recipe use 5 tbsp. of it and the process remains same.
I used to use it during our stay in US as coconut milk was abundantly available in Asian markets compared to fresh/frozen coconut.
Some more Pics...
|Texture of the sautéed dough|
|In the Steamer after it is done|