This is a simple yet yummy side dish prepared with brinjal(vaingan ,in Konkani).It is called brinjal in the East,whereas in the Western world it is popularly known as Aubergine/Eggplant.Each variety has its own nomenclature.It is a low calorie vegetable with a healthy nutritional profile.i have used the purple striped ones here.
Brinjals(M) 2 nos
Onion (L) 1
Mustard seeds 1tsp
Jeera 1/4 tsp
Urad daal 1/2 tsp
Garlic 3-4 flakes
Turmeric powder 1/2tsp
Salt to taste
Jaggery 2 pinches
Byadagi chillies 4
Coriander seeds 1 tsp
Dry coconut gratings
Thick tamarind pulp 1 tsp
- Wash and chop the brinjals into bite size pieces and soak it in water to avoid browning and also get rid of bitter taste if any.
- Peel and chop onion lengthwise.
- Prepare the masala by first dry using chillies,coriander seeds and coconut,then add tamarind pulp and required water and grind further to form a paste,need not be extra fine
- Heat about a tbsp of oil and toss in the mustard seeds,followed by jeera and urad daal,then add 3-4 flakes of peeled garlic and a few curry leaves.
- Add the drained brinjals,salt and turmeric powder and stir on high heat for a minute,add very little water,2 pinches of jaggery and cover it cooking on low flame.
- Check if the brinjals are cooked,if a fork inserted gets through easily it means they are done.
- Now add the ground paste,very little water,and give a nice stir,but care should be taken that brinjals are not mashed.
- Cover and cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.This dish should become absolutely dry.
Serve as an accompaniment with Rice and daal or with Rotis...