Aloo gobi is a dry vegetarian dish served as an accompaniment with rotis ,phulkas or rice.This is a classic in Punjabi cuisine and quite common in that region.This is a wonderful dish as it involves the usage of typical Indian spices which make it aromatic,flavourful and tempting.I like this dish as it is spicy and mildly tangy too.In the konkan cuisine too we make dry dish with combining potato and cauliflower which is simple and tasty whereas this one totally rocks!!!
Boiled potato cubes 1.5cups
Cauliflower florets 2-2.5cups
Green peas(fresh/frozen) 2-3tbsp
Onion,sliced (M) 1-2
Green chilli 2-3
Ginger choppings 1tsp
Garlic flakes 5-6
Turmeric powder 1/3tsp
(dried fenugreek leaves) 2pinches
Kitchen king masala 1/2tsp
Garam masala powder 1/4tsp
Dry mango(amchur)powder 1/2tsp
Saunf(fennel) powder 1/4tsp
Oil 1- 2tbsp
Cumin seeds(jeera) 1/2tsp
- Wash and soak cauliflower florets in salt water to get rid of worms if any,rinse in fresh water,drain in a colander.
- If using frozen peas,then soak in water for 10-15 minutes,drain.
- Make a paste of ginger,garlic and green chillies with the help of a mortar
- Heat a kadai/skillet with oil and toss in the jeera.
- Add the sliced onion wedges and sauté till pale,add the prepared paste and sauté for some more time till the rawness fades.
- Add the powders one by one,also kasoori methi and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the florets,peas,and give a stir.
- Add the cubed potatoes,salt and sprinkle little water.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a low flame till the florets are done and this dish should be dry.
- Sprinkle water if necessary in between.
- Serve with rotis and rice along with any daal.